Following the OsEAN all members live meeting in Catania (October 2019) and the online meeting from 6th May 2020, it emerged a need for integrating the last available evidence in medical education to the actual Teacher Training program.
The proposal raised by C. Castagna and G. Consorti was to introduce the SIPeM Faculty Development program already carried out in some Italian osteopathic educational institutions.
The course is open to all representatives of OsEAN schools but in order to keep the number of participants in the requested range (12-27) only one participant per school will be accepted. Only if some schools decide not to participate, the spot(s) could be filled by other participant(s) (translators will not count as participants).
Introduction to medical pedagogy in osteopathy:
A journey along the spiral of education.
The course aims to build a theoretical and practical background of pedagogical fundamentals applied to medical education in the osteopathic field, to start reflexive processes on the teaching experience of each teacher and acquire new skills in order to improve the quality of the educational offer, and to create a shared language to promote the aggregation into a community of practice.
The course is divided into 4 workshops.
The duration of the workshops will be 2 days for WS1, WS2, WS4 and 3 days for WS3 (3rd day facultative).
The workshop days will consist of a morning session (09.00-13.00) which will include a coffee break according to need and an afternoon session (14.00-18.00) which will include a coffee break as needed.
The Workshops are designed for small group education (min 12 - max 27 participants) and will privilege forms of learning based on experience.
Given the preparatory nature of the workshops, attendance to all workshops would be advised.
Participants are required to carry out the assignment that may occur between one workshop and the next so as to make it possible to use these materials for the subsequent workshop(s). Please note that the amount of self-directed learning will NOT be such as to create an overload.
Failure to engage in the assignments would make hard the participation in the next workshop(s).
At the end of the 4 workshops the certificate of attendance will be issued.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
At the end of the course the learners will be able to:
- Develop a Core Curriculum based on the Core Competence of the osteopathic profession
- Design an assessment system consistent with the ILOs
- Use the most appropriate Teaching and Learning Activities (TLAs) to achieve ILOs
- Evaluate the outcomes of the training intervention and take care of the continuous development of one's trainer competence
WS1: The design of a course
Day 1: (C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- How to develop Core Competence
Day 2: (C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- From the Core Competence to the Core Curriculum
- Constructive alignment
WS2: Docimology: the science behind the evaluation
Dates:17th, 18th & 19th May 2021 (Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday)
Day 1: (C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- Knowledge assessment
- Technical and manual skills assessment
Day 2: (Catherine Clair)
- Formative assessment and feedback
Day 3: (T. Piccinno, M. Masini, C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- The simulated patient (with particular reference to the anamnestic and relational aspects)
- Soft skills assessment
- Professionalism assessment (Yvonne)
WS3: Implementation of training: TLAs
Dates: 21st & 22nd October 2021 (Thursday & Friday)
Day 1: (A. Lotti, C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- Principles of active learning
- Problem Based Learning
Day 2: (A. Lotti, C. Castagna, G. Consorti)
- Team Based Learning
WS4: Faculty development, continuous professional development and management
Day 1: (C. Castagna, Catherine Clair)
- System analysis: evaluations of educational needs; peer review of teaching; OSTE
Day 2: (C. Castagna, Catherine Clair)
- System analysis: Kirkpatrick Model; analysis, management and implementation.